1. Commitment - Until you are committed, nothing will happen for you. There is nothing more important to creating your authentic lifestyle than your unwavering commitment to choosing in favor of your passions.
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation) there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. I have learned a deep respect for one of Goethe’s couplets: 'Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.
- W. H. Murray, The Scottish Himalayan Expedition, 1951
2. Clarity – Working through the exercises and resources found in the Life Purpose section of this website will help you tremendously with this element. You will know when you have clarity of purpose because your stated intentions will match the results that show up in your life. When they don’t match, this is a signal that some aspect of you is not in alignment.
When you are clear, what you want will appear in your life, and only to the extent you are clear.
- The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
3. Attention - What you put your attention on grows stronger in your life. Whether it be wanted or unwanted as in the saying – What you resist persists. So focus your attention on what you do want. Action engages attention directing its flow and focus. Applying the element of attention in your life means doing everything and anything you can think to do to bring your intention into being, then letting go. Once you've done all you can do, then creating results requires staying open to what is appearing in your life now.
4. Staying Open – It is your job to get clear about what you choose to create in your life. It is not your job to know how it will show up. Get clear about your intentions, give them your attention, engage in inspired action while releasing attachment to results. In this way you allow opportunities to present themselves and can respond as needed. If you have definite expected results in mind, you run the risk of missing something brilliant and splendid!
5. Integrity - Integrity is really about having complete alignment between your inner self and your outer self.
When the patterns of your thoughts, words, feelings, emotions, actions and beliefs are aligned with your core values, you are living with full authenticity. When all aspects of who you are operate in coherent alignment, no one aspect sabotages the integrity of the whole.
~ The Integral LEAP
Operating from integrity also means you consider your commitments carefully. When you say you'll do something, you do it. If circumstances change and you will be inconvenienced, you attempt to renegotiate. But, if this is not possible, you honor your original commitment if at all possible. This is how you build trust. In The Passion Test, Stephen M.R. Covey talks about “The Speed of Trust.” When you build trust in your relationships then you gain a dividend which increases the speed with which things can be accomplished and reduces the cost of doing them.
6. Persistence - This is the other side of the coin from commitment. While traveling the path of enlightened wealth, you’re going to run into some rough patches. And this is OK. That’s part of the fun of living. If it was smooth sailing every day of the year and all was handed to you on a silver platter, (sorry for mixing metaphors) life wouldn’t present much challenge. But when you’re living your life purpose, challenges are seldom more than temporary setbacks. Once you’ve identified your true calling, and have committed to your course, “Providence” moves with you. If you do discover that you just can't go on - then you're not supposed to. That’s where Staying Open comes into play. When you are connected to your true passions, nothing can stop you. So if something is stopping you, it's because you're supposed to stop.
7. Follow Your Heart – Your heart is your connection to your soul. Your passions and intuitions are the soul’s language. When you are confused and don't know which way to turn, quiet your thoughts and listen to your heart. More specifically, feel what your heart is telling you. The people who have enjoyed great success in life have followed their hearts - even as others said they were crazy, or would fail. It takes courage to follow your heart. But when you do, you will find the rewards are beyond anything you thought possible.
These are the 7 key elements to monetizing your passions. Combined with the 7 Pillars of Success, they comprise the Parthenon of Enlightened Wealth. Use them as a roadmap of sorts to guide you along your journey as you transition from survival to self empowerment to sustained abundance.
Janet and Chris Attwood have collaborated on a great new book that will help reveal the unique design of your life - Your Hidden Riches.
Funding Your Authentic Lifestyle >The 7 Key Elements